Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Inland Empire

Writer/Director David Lynch is a PURE genius. This movie was pure genius. Alfred Hitchcock must have been applauding from his grave when it debuted. Many people will not endure the length of this film or appreciate it. Even though it was shot with a consumer digicam (the Sony PD-150), the cinematography is breathtaking--colors, fades, shots, and perspectives. Laura Dern is amazing. If she doesn't receive at least an Academy nomination, something is wrong. My suggestion with this movie is to just open up and take it in. Don't try to understand it and you will. Unbelievable. Really. 5 of 5. Joe

1 comment:

Joe said...

OK...I finally entered the world of INLAND EMPIRE. Joe says most viewers won't make it to the end...HELL...most won't make it past the first 20 minutes!!
As for me...well...I'm a David Lynch fan. I think BLUE VELVET, WILD AT HEART and MULHOLLAND DRIVE each rank among the best films of their respectiv years. In addition...TWIN PEAKS is one of the best TV shows ever. As for INLAND EMPIRE --- well it does have the usual Lynchian mystery and bewilderment. I always love a movie that requires you to interpret things for yourself and promotes debate long after the movie's over (Richard Kelley's DONNIE DARKO is my favortite such film). What's up with those rabbit people...what's up with that monkey...what's up with Laura Dern...what's up with the dancing...what's up with the whole damn thing? Well...that's the point. I could go on and on with my theories to anser each of the above questions, but those thoughts should only be shared with others who've seen the film. While interesting and visually mesmerizing...I didn't ever get wrapped up in this one. I thought it was a bit too far from sanity and certainly too long. I'll credit the exzperiement...but not the result. 3 of 5 hs