Saturday, November 24, 2007

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE

A few disclaimers...
1 - I usually HATE musicals. Sound of Music, West Side Story, Chicago...YUCK!
2 - I sometimes like musicals...Mary Poppins, Willy Wonka, Disney stuff in general...COOL!
3 - I do regard MOULIN ROUGE as one of the best movies ever made...ever.
4 - I love the Beatles...
Considering those four nuggets of info I had no idea what to make of ACROSS THE UNIVERSE...a musical (bad) with Beatles music (good) that reminded me of MOULIN ROUGE (good). Two out of three ain't bad right? Well it turns out one bad can destroy all the good. I wanted to like ACROSS THE UNIVERSE, but I couldn't. Too many of the scenes just felt forced, corny, and awkward. Too often I felt John Lennon rolling over in his grave at the misuse of his brilliant lyrical genius (just watch the "Revolution" scene...). I did love the cameos, and I thought Bono stole the show...but all-in-all this is too much sensory and not enough substance. 2 of 5 hs

No comments: