Tuesday, November 6, 2007

American Gangster

Excellent movie! I think a good comparison in terms of quality would be The Hoax. Both are based on a really interesting, true story. Both stray from the “true” in “true story.” Both have popular actors (Denzel Washington & Russell Crowe in American Gangster; Richard Gere in The Hoax). Both have parts that drag a little. Both have parts that make you bite your nails. In American Gangster, I don’t know that Denzel is a believable “bad guy” and Russell Crowe was “ok.” Richard Gere played his part truer to form in The Hoax and Alfred Molina was a great supporting actor. American Gangster attempts to deliver “deeper” messages. The Hoax doesn’t necessarily (which I liked). I gave The Hoax 4 out of 5. I’ll give American Gangster a 4 too. Joe

No comments: